Running a green-business and maintaining a low-environmental impact is something that is very important to me. It's going to take a lot to fix this planet, but every little bit counts.
Here are a few things that I do to help keep things green:
- Recycle wherever possible, including recycling scrap metal for recasting into new components
- Working from home instead of maintaining a separate studio
- CF light bulbs in every light
- Minimal printing and waste paper production
- Keeping a well maintained, regularly smog-checked car
- Using local vendors where possible, with a preference for those with strong environmental statements
- Enrolling in local programs to ensure 100% of my utilities come from renewable energy sources like wind power
- Cutting back on high-chemical jewelry cleaners and products where possible, and instead opting for low-hazard cleaners like Dawn and warm water
- Mutliple charitable projects throughout the year. See the 2009 charity projects here.
What you can do to help:
- Request an email receipt, instead of a printed one
- Request to pick up your order if you live near Palo Alto, CA
- Place a single order, rather than multiples over a few days to ensure a single mail out
- Shop at Elena Adams Designs, and know that some of your order is helping preserve wildlife through Wild Care, Bay Area